Help - Ground Collapsing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I have a friend who's house has, over the last couple weeks, had about a 3 foot wide by 1 foot wide swath of ground just collapse about 8 inches. This is right next to the house.

He's worried that's it a collapsed underground drain, but has no water problems. Could it just be some kind of settling? House is about 80 yrs old.

Thanks so much for any ideas you might have.

Steve

Sponsored Links
water leak.

Drain or main.

in London streets, holes like this are measured in units of DDBs.

a 2DDB hole is big enough to swallow two double-decker buses :eek:

They get bigger than this too :eek: :eek: :eek:

The leak needs fixing before the house falls into the hole.

May need an insurance subsidence claim as well.

Yikes - that's the kind of thing we were afraid of. Anything else it could be that we could check for?

Steve

old mineworkings

grave

but, a small section, next to the house, water leak.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sinkhole.jpg

There is probably more ground ready to collapse. If it is paved e.g. with concrete it may not collapse until the cavity gets quite big, or until a heavy object such as a car or person stands on it, or it might give way suddenly and unexpectedly.

tophole.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK, I'll let him know the not so great news. Thanks for your help :)

Steve

Now that is what you call a solution feature :LOL: - or was it a tunnelling collapse?

May need an insurance subsidence claim as well.
Agreed, water escape from something is the most likely cause.

However, with regard to claiming on house insurance, unless the building is damaged by the leak, then insurers can and will argue that there is no peril under the policy terms. Conversely, if it's left until such time as there is damage to the building, then they can equally argue that no steps were taken to mitigate against the possibility of damage occurring, once you became aware of the problem. For such is the way of insurance...

This doesn't come under escape of water, as a lot of people think: that section of a policy is intended to cover damage to the inside of the building, fixtures and fittings etc, caused by a burst pipe or suchlike.

Subsidence usually attracts a policy excess of £1000, by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back