help leaking cold water tank!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i dont blo*dy believe it....

yesterday mrs meldrew noticed a brown stain on bedroom ceiling i scuttled up into loft and noticed damp patch under cold water tankjavascript:emoticon(':oops:')

Plumbers been today and said plastci tank needs replacing but he thinks the small leak has been going for months\years and can not identify where the tank leaking.....

he has quoted £250 to replace tank(is this a good price ?)

my dilemna is im going on holiday for a fortnight saturdajavascript:emoticon('8)')y and am worried that if there was even a slight fault with new tank\attachments i could have a sodden nitemare when i return

I want it replaced no problem with that but im worried if it (the new tank\overflow fiittings leaked while im away)

so im thinking of maybe doing one of the following as the leak is not severe eg peeing out...

draining cold water tank and turning off mains water in the street and get it done when i get back but does the(back) boiler have to switched off ?

leave small amount of water in tank and turn off mains water

get him to fit tank and turn off water at mains

stop being paanoid and get it fitted and leave water on!!!!!!

what would u do???????

why do these dilemnas happen just before holidaysjavascript:emoticon(':evil:')

PS i have BG homecare 200 but it dont cover thisjavascript:emoticon(':rolleyes:')

Sponsored Links
i would dry as much s you can on the tank and try to find where the leak is coming from as the plumber might just be going for the £ rather than fixing the problem.In saying that it is a cheap price he has given you.

overflow/revolvers/mains inlet/stopcock glands or worse split in tank

but it will give you a good idea whats needed

i would dry as much s you can on the tank and try to find where the leak is coming from as the plumber might just be going for the £ rather than fixing the problem.In saying that it is a cheap price he has given you.

overflow/revolvers/mains inlet/stopcock glands or worse split in tank

but it will give you a good idea whats needed

thanks for this i was in loft with him and he did check auxilary pipe furniture or appeard to......

I put newspaper under it last night and the paper appeard damp this evening and not soaking as though it was leaking severly more that it was soaking up the damp in the timber....

im more and more tempted to put more paper underneath and turn it off at the mains...the celing damp is going to take a while to dry\treat before repainting so two more weeks...seems less of a risk than if he makes a slight error and the whole lot starts leaking from a pipe\join and im away for 2 weeks

I have someone going to come round every 2 days to check if its got worse and they can call plumber if required...

help any guidance most appreciated im off to the sun on saturday...and want to mtigate the risk of coming up o katrina and the waves...

Sponsored Links
you can't seem to find a point of leakage

if the tank is on a board, might there be water under the tank and on the board?

If you checked the newspaper earlier, might tou have seen where the drip was falling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back