Help my bathroom smells like death

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have foul smells coming into my bathroom, it only seems to be happening after the shower. I have replaced the AAV but the smell is still hanging around. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Could be the shower trap is self emptying with the fast flow of water, could also be pulling the water out of sink trap nearby. You need to put pictures of bathroom and pipework on here.

Hi, the smell is coming from the soil pipe. It’s internal. it’s a really horrible smell. Almost fishy it’s not the electrics as they have been checked.

Sponsored Links
Omg ‍♀️ I really hope not! It’s an iron pipe. Could they still through it? We’ve also noticed that the top of the stack doesn’t have any sort of seal? Just the vent sitting on top.

F912D04A-91F4-4017-A40B-EC3CA8AF539F.jpeg

Hard to make out, but it looks like a cast iron soil stack, that's been chopped and an AAV lobbed in the top.

Presuming, currently it's not a good fit, (if it is cast iron) maybe an iron to plastic connector and small stub of plastic pipe with a new AAV installed

Or, Is there any possibility of venting it to the outside, up through a vented roof tile... more work and money.

Do you know the pipework down from this valve is good?

Pull switch and light fittings can smell fishy if burning. It's the type of plastic.
Doubt it's that but check

I was call to a job with a smelly bathroom. Nothing obvious I removed bathroom panel and it was clean as a whistle.

I said to the customer (my mate) that I suspected the neighbour was dead downstairs. Not wanting to sound dramatic I joked about it.

Call later from him and the neighbour had been dead for a month or so.

How horrifying. I’ll go check on my neighbours later to make sure they are still alive!!

I’ll fit a new AAV and hope that’s the stench sorted.

For a day or so, why not tape a polythene bag around the pipe see if the smell disappears?

Do you have a open soil stack outside?

no stack outside. It’s all internal.
I’ve had to release the gas that’s built up (my god it’s gross) untill I pick up the new AAV tomorrow. Ive got the connector so hoping it will all fit. This has got to be the worst thing I’ve done since fixing the house up! @Mr Chibs thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back