Help! My washing machine and dishwasher are not draining!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to know why my washing machine and dishwasher are not draining. Would it be due to a blocked drain? Do you think there is a blockage in both the oulet pipes and if so where would I start to look for it? Can this be done by myself or would I need a plumber? Would a simple liquid unblocker do the trick or do you think its more severe? Any help would be really appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
do you pipes connect to the waste under the sink or have their own waste to drain ?

Thanks. Im pretty certain both pipes connect under the sink. The appliances are either side of the sink and all the pipework is located at the back of the cupboard. The property is only 5yrs old and so are the appliances. If its not a blockage then maybe its the pumps that have gone, but its a bit of a coincidence they should both go at the same time!

is the sink draining ok ?
check the trap under sink maybe blocked if not disconnect one of the appliances and try it into a bucket etc.

Sponsored Links
I no longer reside at the property myself as I rent it out now, but yes Im lead to believe that sink is draining OK. Can you tell me what and where the 'trap' is and how easy can this be done?

I've only ever investigated the back of the washing machine once before a couple of years ago when the water would not drain and I found out by my own investigation work, armed with a screwdriver I took off the back and detached the main hose and found one of my socks blocking this and then the machine was working OK again. Should I then do this again and is this the same principle with the dishwasher? I know I should call a plumber really but I don't want to get ripped off (being a girl and having no knowledge of plumbing) and I want to try the obvious stuff before I call them as a last resort! Cheers.

i see what your saying but for two to block together is pretty rare.

the trap is under the sink waste where the pipes are connected to just place a bowl under trap and undo.

this is what a trap looks like.
mcalpine-SSK1.gif

Ta for the info and diagram. Yep I'll try both the things you say - hopefully the outcome will be good! Thanks again for you time and help, its really very much appreciated. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back