Help needed fitting Belling single electric oven & gas h

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

did a Google search and found some good advice on here so hoping someone can help me out with this problem...

Wife and I bought a new Belling single electric oven (model no. X0U69MF) and gas hob (model no. GHU60GE) from Comet last Saturday.

Paid for delivery and installation and was told it would arrive anytime between 8am-6pm yesterday (Weds) so had to wait in / work from home. Didn't arrive until just after 5pm (very frustrating) but the engineer couldn't get out of the house quick enough, refusing to fit it because in his opinion apparently:

* the wiring wasn't right
* it wasn't fused properly / needed a different spur
* the cable was the wrong size
* + best of all, the job would take him 2hrs to do but he had to be back at the depot for 5.45pm!!!

Now, I'm confused because the house was completely rewired in 2007 and as far as I'm aware everything is above board. But, I'm no electrician so don't know who to believe and as this guy from Comet was so rude and unhelpful I'm not sure if he's telling the truth.

Have been on the phone to Comet again this morning, and someone in their helpdesk has emailed me a copy of the notes entered by the engineer which say:

"FAILED CONNECTION DUE TO NO SEPERATE 13AMP SPUR SOCKETS FOR HOB AND OVEN, WIRING GOING FROM HOB DIRECT INTO OVEN AND THEN 2.5 MIL CABLE GOING STRAIGHT TO THE WALL”

We have been without a working oven for 1 week now, wife is almost 8 months pregnant, Comet have almost £400 of our money, and I have a new oven and hob sitting on the floor at home so I'm hoping you guys can offer some advice / a second opinion.

I've got the original electrician coming around again this afternoon but suggestions you can give about whether Comet is making a fuss over nothing or if the electrician has / hasn't done the job properly would be most appreciated.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Can you post any photo's of the setup you have? i.e of the cooker switch/connection point and maybe of your Consumer unit/Fuseboard aswell?

Or give a better description?

1, What size mcb/fuse and cable do you have supplying the cooker point?
2, Do you have a cooker switch with a socket inbuilt into it?
3, How was your old hob and oven wired in?

Sounds to me like they are just trying to get out of fitting it but they may have valid reasons. A better idea of your setup will help us decide.

Sounds to me like the basic problem is a newly wired and perfectly above-board cooker circuit terminating at a cooker outlet plate.

But if the appliances need 13A fused connections then that circuit isn't suitable. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not right as it is - it needs an electrician to install a couple of FCUs.

From his notes, it looks like there is no fusing down & the hob cable and the 2,5 he mentions are too small without fusing down to go on a coker circuit.

Do both new appliances have plug tops?

If so, you could fit a double socket in place of the existing cable outlet.
Or two spurs. Trouble with that is whether you'd get 2 6mm² conductors (if indeed that's what is there) into a spur terminal.

If there is a socket next to the cooker switch or you want to put a socket on this supply, you really need to fit RCD protection as well.

While he was at it, did the Comet guy look at whether an RCD was installed, or the bonding or do an earth loop?

It's most important he does an earth loop, otherwise he cannot be certain the cooker he's just installed is safe.

Sponsored Links
SS, what do you base your RCD requirement on?

if there is no socket on the cooker switch then it doesn't need to be rcd protected based on the regs it was wired to..

also even if he's fitting sockets to plug the appliances into, you don't need RCD because its highly unlikely that he's going to unplug his oven and hob to plug the lawnmower in..

That's no longer a factor - all sockets need RCD protection, not just those likely to supply portable equipment for use outdoors.

Except sockets designated for a particular purpose. (No BRB to hand - can't remember the exact wording).

[code:1]411.3.3 Additional protection

In an a.c. system, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with regulation 415.1 shall be provided for:

(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use, and
(ii) mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32A for use outdoors.

An exception to (i) is permitted for:

(a) socket outlets for use under supervision of skilled or instructed persons, eg in some commercial or industrial locations, or

(b) a specific labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment[/code:1]

now I can already see that you are probably going to pick up on the "specific labelled" part, but I'd consider it "suitably identified" if it's below a counter and in the vicinity of the oven / washing machine / dishwasher / fridge etc..

failing that, squiggle the words on it with a marker pen or stick a dymo label on it.. ( other makes of labeling machines are available.. :) )

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments / feedback. Original hob is a gas hob with electric ignition (but that hasn't been working since we moved in).

The electrician who did the original rewiring came over last night and said he couldn't really see why the Comet engineer was making such as fuss. We had the oven and hob hard-wired into the wall with an isolation switch above the bench which we were told by both Comet and Curry's when we went in the store was their preferred setup.

Anyway, electrician installed a new double socket behind the oven, fitted two plug tops with 13amp fuses to both the new oven and hob and connected the new oven in around 20mins for £20.

Just got to get a Gas Safe engineer to connect the new hob now, but shouldn't take long to do that.

Am very annoyed with Comet because the engineer didn't offer any advice or solution for how to resolve the problem, just that he wouldn't do it, was rude and unhelpful and couldn't get out of the house quick enough. Probs wanted to get home for his tea or to watch the footie! Am getting a refund for the £100 delivery and installation (which we didn't get) and making a complaint about the engineer.

you know, if we trawled through the posts, I recon we might have about 60 percent of the regs book quoted verbatim in here over the years..

we could collect it all and stick it in the wiki...but I suppose that would breach copyright?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back