HELP! new PVC frames cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone please help, we have just purchased a new conservatory, and erected it ourselves, all was going well until the double glazed units were fitted, first one of the French doors developed a crack it started in the welded mitre joint, it spread across the door frame out to wards the hinge side, the next morning several of the windows had similar cracks, all the cracks seemed to start in the mitre-- and spread right through the weld or shoot of to the side of the frames, the framework was put up as per instruction , a 4 ft spirit level was used throughout the build,everything is level. what on earth could be causing this to happen ?
Thank you in advance.
Tilly-1

Sponsored Links
Thanks breezer, we called them today, someone is coming out to look at the conservatory, i just don't want them to try and blame us and wriggle out of of the situation, i hoped someone here might have come across this problem or have an idea as to what the cause could be.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi there, the all the dg units are sat on the spacers that came with the conservatory, a friend has suggested that the plastic beads were maybe a touch too big, they were all mitred and in the units when it arrived, we took them out and put them back in the same place, surely they wouldn't expect you to cut them if they have been done on a machine in the factory ?
Thanks Tilly-1

They do expand and I have cut back quite a few of them!

Thank you for your replies, I'm just a bit concerned that they might try to transfer the blame onto us, if it is a installation fault, the so be it, but i wanted to be armed with some facts first, because if their is a chance it's down to manufacturing, then i would like them to correct the problem.
Thank you

Hi again, update on the cracked conservatory.
The guy from Advantage came out today, they are replacing the cracked frames. I asked the chap what has caused the problem, he said "not sure" I asked could it have been the beads fitting too tight, he said "could be" so we are none the wiser, but they have agreed to sort it out.
Thanks for all your help
Lynn

Tilly-1 said:
I asked could it have been the beads fitting too tight, he said "could be" so we are none the wiser, but they have agreed to sort it out.
That's great, the beading would bend before damaging the frame!

This can be down to shipping, handling or installation as the windows do not like to be moved or twisted, hence the cracking.
Usually they crack after a few months of installation as the house, conservatory settles down, much like walls in a new house.
They are fairly easy to fix if your in the know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back