Help on Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can help me.
I have a gravity fed central heating system which I have drained to permanantly remove a radiator and pipework to it. I have capped the pipes and re-filled the system but now have no hot water or heating.
I have bled the system through all remaining radiators but I am only getting hot pipes to the pump and mid position actuator. The hot water cylinder is cold.

Can you suggest what may be the problem.

The boiler is working but the pump feels very hot and is making an intermittent groaning sound.

Sponsored Links
There are many possibilities.

For example, you might have a blockage in the cold feed from the F&E cistern. Check that the water level in the F&E goes down when you drain the system. If not, then search for "cold feed blockage" and you'll start to feel like you're a member of a large club!

You might have an air lock - go looking for all bleeding points on top of the boiler and on the primary circuit near the cylinder. Also, make sure that you vent all rads without the circulating pump running.

Thank you for your reply.

It was an airlock...I managed to clear it by bleeding all points and switching the pump to full.

Regards

Russell.

Sponsored Links
Well done Russell! Thanks for posting back the outcome :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back