Help paper joins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys some help needed here. Have just finished papering the livingroom with embossed paper, butted all the joins on all 4 walls three of which have turned out fine as usual but one wall for some reason the joins keep raising as if butted to tight together thus showing all strips. I waited a cpl of days to see if they dried out with no joy. Stripped the wall again and re did but it's the same again.

Any help would be appreciated before I run out of hair to pull out or the store runs out of paper.

Sponsored Links
Hi davycc. Been painting and decorating 32 years and cant think what your problem is :confused:

Need more info first: What type of paper? Blown vinyl or paper eg anaglypta? What's so different about this particular wall? Is it gloss painted for example? Is it less porous than the other walls?

As for going mental with your paper? Any p&d on here who says they never do, well they must be a woman.

Something is different about this one wall then. :!:

Did you soak the paper long enough.........how long :?:

Something is different about this one wall then. :!:

Did you soak the paper long enough.........how long :?:

Im thinking on the same lines as 'Le Growl' here too....

My first thoughts...either the paper hasnt been allowed to soak for long enough...the wall has a impervious coating on it...causing the paste to take to long to dry and stopping the paper from biting to the wall..or a combination of the two....made worse oif the room is cold.

Id recommend lining the wall first then re papering

Sponsored Links
As for going mental with your paper? Any p&d on here who says they never do, well they must be a woman.

OI!!!! I resent that. :eek:

Sometimes I do come across things I cant explain, and I do get myself worried about it, but, I down tools, go away, do something else, then come back to it with a clear head.

It must definately be something wrong with the one wall, as he would have soaked his paper, pasted the same, and hung the same on the other 3 walls.

Is there a lot of filler on the 4th wall near or on where the butt joins are?, this is one reason why the butts open up, as the filler underneath hasnt been sealed,so reacts to the pastes, and blows.

Is the 4th the same as the other walls, ie, same existing paint underneath, or the same plaster walls as the other 3.

Also davy has done it twice, so it cant be him, it must be the wall.

Your best bet is to strip the paper off again, wash all the old paste off with sugar soap, leave to dry, then either undercoat, using oilbase UC (yes, I know, the old UC again) :rolleyes: (but it does do the job) the whole wall, or buy some alkaine primer sealer,and paint that on the wall, then start again.

Anything that is on or underneath the wall, is sealed, and your butt joins should not open.

Sometimes I do come across things I cant explain, and I do get myself worried about it, but, I down tools, go away, do something else, then come back to it with a clear head.

Another 'separated at birth' job!..I wonder if we were taught by the same bloke? lol

When I was an apprentice I was really struggling with a corner...being council grade paper it was falling to bits and all the colour was coming off it...I was covered in the print,, paste...sweat..so being a 'typical bloke' I took the only course of action open to me..kick the **** out of the wall!!..next thing ive heard 'having a problem son' foreman standing behind me laughing!...im nearly in tears..he told me to walk away, go and get washed up, clean me tools clean the table down, go and get two cup of tea and live it for 10 minutes ..I did, and it worked a treat, aways done that ever since.

Good idea to seal the walls...but if its an outside wall..in this weather it could slow don the pastes drying time, so causing the paper to swell from long

I once did a job..cover up job, a flat over a shop which was to be rented, the owners just wanted it brightened up...two of the rooms had dark green gloss on the walls..I suggested lining them but they didnt want to go to the expense...so I rubbed em down and went straight on with blown vinyl...following day I had quarter inch overlaps on every joint and the paper was as wet as it was when I put it up

Had to pull it all off and re postion it...nightmare and it took ages

When I did the next room I left a quarter in gap on the seam and went home and prayed!

Following day the seams were virtually perfect (luck!!)

For all we know, all the walls might be rubbish papered. :LOL: and it only shows on 1 wall cos of the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back