HELP PLEASE!!!! NEXT DOORS FLUE IS MAKING A LOUD BANG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone offer any help:

Next door to us (semi-detached) - there is a loud bang (sounding like a car back-firing or a very very cork popping from champagne) coming from the flue with a white flash of light.

It only seems to happen when it rains and it happens periodically for example every hour.

Next door is an elderly lady - we informed home help, who contacted her family, who told us she would get a new boiler fitted the same day. That was 3 weeks ago but it is still happening. Today we found out she has still not had a new boiler.

I am very scared that the whole house will explode.

Should we push for a new boiler to be fitted immediately - should her boiler be switched off until a new one is fitted?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
why new boiler it probably needs a service , should be turned off but NO it wont blow up the house

Sponsored Links
Worth calling gas emergency services; 0800 111 999 and explain that this is seriously not safe. Whatever they say, ask to allocate a job number for "reporting a safety issue" before you hand up. Insist you get one.

Thank you for the replies.

I don't know the make or model of the boiler next door.

The emergency gas man came out about 3 weeks ago when it first happened to 'make safe' & we thought a new boiler had also been fitted & had not heard the noise again until this week so we thought it had been fixed but ...... IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN IT RAINS.......

We have told next door that they must get it checked again ASAP so we will wait and see :(

Emergency gasman? If it was not from 0800 111 999, it is something totally unrelated. This is the number to call, they come out free of charge as they are paid by the industry, and as often as needed.

Sorry, yes the emergency gas man was from the 0800 111 999 free service, but since he has been 3 weeks ago the bang happened again - when it was raining - not heard it again this week, but it has not rained since Tue night.

If you obtained the job number as we asked then you can call the gas emergency number and ask what happened and tell them the problem still persists.

They can still trace the job from the address but they are often lazy and reluctant to do so.

It probably will not cause any damage but you and the old lady cannot take any chances!

Perhaps her family are thinking of their inheritances?

Tony

Thank you

I will get back onto the emergency number, as I agree we don't want to take any chances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back