Help ! re thermostatic shower valve

Jim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Aqualisa thermostatic shower valve has failed and cant be resurrected. The tradesman who came to cut it off(it was leaking) says I can replace it and it would cost around £350 to £400.
I am wondering whether it is really worth having a thermostatic shower valve rather than a simple mixer. The previous one had a separate cold supply which protected from violent changes in water temperature. The shower valve unit is only about 12inches from the hot water cylinder . The thing is that whatever is connected, there isnt a lot of plumbing(the old feeds capped off for now). So I am not to keen on such big cost and would like advice on mixer versus thermostatic.
Hope someone can help.
Jim

Sponsored Links
Hello Jim!

I think that a mixer tap is better then a thermostat. The fact is, they last a lot longer, even though they are not automatic. Even if it does cost you more in the shorter term.. it would keep up a lot longer then a thermostat shower.
I have a thermostat shower myself and have had a mixer type and i think that's definitely the best.. especially as my thermostat doesn't work and suddenly sticks piping hot water onto my head when i'm washing my hair...
A little valve isn't really worth that much, the only flop side of a mixer shower is that you have to get the perfect hot and cold mix... which isn't too bad is it :D, well certainly not worth so many hundred!
hannah of black panther design

as you said "the tradesman who came to fit it said £300+ " why not get a 2nd opinion, we have an aqualisa thermostatic "tap" it has a knob at each end and is about 14 inches from end to end, it went wrong and so we called aqualisa direct on 01959 560010 (last & only number i have) a very nice man came out and changed for us it cost £00.00 as it was under
g tee.

its worth calling them first to see how much

Sponsored Links
Just to say that I went for a Showerforce mixer shower 911-M for about a quarter of the price to replace the existing one.
It works a treat, the people on the helpline were very good.
Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back