Help Wiring Two Light Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In our new downstairs bedroom there are 2 seperate lights, one at each end of the room.

I want to wire them with 2 2way switches so that you can operate both lights independently from the doorway switch and also from a bed side switch.

Am I correct thinking you just wire them as 2 2 way switches so the same as you would when you normally want to control one light with two switches just instead of one of the switch plates only being a single it'll have 2 switches instead?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
tell us what you plan to do ................ parts, cable runs, circuit protection etc

Sponsored Links
Cables are already in, there's 2 x 3+e and a t+e between both switches currently both 1.5mm (yes I know 1mm would be fine but it's from work), they are installed in conduit behind the plasterboard attached with the right clips to the blockwork.

The lights each have a t+e to them from 2 junction boxes in the eaves above the new bedroom, switches will be wired to these junction boxes to power the lights.

Whole circuit is protected by the existing rcd and 6a mcb for the downstairs light which the radial currently serves 7 other lights which contain about 20 5w led bulbs so plenty of headroom for extending the circuit.

Thanks
Chris

Am I correct thinking you just wire them as 2 2 way switches so the same as you would when you normally want to control one light with two switches just instead of one of the switch plates only being a single it'll have 2 switches instead?
At each end you'll need a 2-gang, 2-way switch. That is assuming that one person in the bed is happy for the other to have control over lights!
If not, you'll also need a 2-gang intermediate switch then you'll have a switch either side of the bed.

Going back. I suppose the switch wiring for the two lights already exists? What is connected to the existing switch(es)? Pictures may help.

It's a guest bedroom so they can get over there only being 1 switch bedside.

Currently both lights are operated by a single switch at door so I can have light to work in there, this is temporary.

So am I correct in thinking it's simply the same as wiring a normal 2 switch setup for a single light just there's an extra switch at one end as there's 2 independent lights?

Yes thanks, I've done several for 1 light just never 2 and 2 which is why I was checking.

Its strange how many DIYers think two, three or more gang switches are something complicated rather than just two, three or more switches next to each other with no connections between them.

Its strange how many DIYers think two, three or more gang switches are something complicated rather than just two, three or more switches next to each other with no connections between them.
Yes, but when you was learning did you never get confused? I did, took me a while to get 2 way and intermediate.

Edit....yes I've got it now...I'll get in before someone else lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back