Help with downpipe replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I just had my cast iron downpipe removed and replaced with plastic by a roofline company (did fascias and gutters too).
However problem is behind the new pipe the render/roughcasting has came off where the old pipe must have been against the wall.
Is this to be expected when replacing downpipes? What should I do about it now? As it's now exposed albeit behind the new plastic pipe but there is approx an inch or so gap where the new pipe sits away from the wall due to brackets. Also unsightly.
Thanks for any feedback/advice you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Cast iron rainwater and soil pipes were fixed hard against the walls in older properties, more often than not before the building was rendered/ casted.

When the cast pipes are removed the plastic pipes are fitted with offset barrel clips you are left with a visible scar, the only thing you can do is have the pipe removed and the render patched up.

Thank you Alastair. Would you expect normally the company who fitted the replacements to advise/do this ? What will happen if I do nothing?

Sponsored Links
Roofline companies normally wouldnt repair the render but should have advised you it would leave a scar when they had replaced the pipe.

Best to have it repaired to prevent any water tracking through the joints in the bare brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back