Help with LG26 L75 please anyone !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I had a new digital ariel put up about 18 months ago, to go with my new LG 26 L 75..

A few weeks back i lost the picture and all i could see on screen was "poor signal". for 2 weeks i was without tv trying to re-tune and fiddle about then spotted that the end of the ariel lead that connects to the back of the tv had completely "rusted away" i just bought a new one and "booof" i was back on, great stuff.

Same thing happened again last night for no reason i can think of and when i checked the ariel end (the bit in the tv, you put your ariel in) there was slight corrosion in there, i suspect from the remnants of the last rusty ariel connection.
Trouble is, i can't get at it to clean it !! any ideas anyone please on how to clean it.

Before you ask, house has has central heating, and no damp problems so how this got rusty in the first place is a bit strange.... Everything is about 18 months old, no warranty on tv now and the ariel suppliers don't want to know.

I'll try anything lol, it's match of the day tonight !!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

It sounds as though water has found it's way into the cable at some point and is moving through the insulation by capillary action.

This sounds odd, but the way coax cable is constructed means it can happen, the inner insulation effectively is hollow and can carry any water that does find its way in quite a distance.

See here

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cable.htm

under the heading Which Cable, about 2/3 of the way down. The top cable can suffer this problem, the bottom one won't.

The only real cure is to replace the affected cabling (in this case presumably the run from the aerial to the TV set).

Don't be too quick to blame your recent aerial installers, as the water may have been in the cable all along, and only now making it's way out.

In the meantime, try the TV at a friends place if you can, and see if it works there. If the water has found it's way into the TV itself, it may require a new tuner, or may even be written off.

This is worst case, as it may be OK, from what you say it functions OK?

You may have caught it "just in time", however the sound of rust in the socket itself isn't a good sign. Post a picture, the damage may be repairable.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Colin

Hi colin

Thanks for the reply.. Must admit i didn't believe you til i read the link.

I have 2 other ariel leads installed at the same time as the downstairs one. These 2 are both upstairs in bedrooms. 1 runs down the front of roof and the other down the back. i have never used them since they were installed though. Tried the LG in both of them and got nothing at all.
Got a spare tv that worked fine last time it was used and tried it in all 3 ariels, again no picture..

I imagine all 3 leads run off the 1 ariel but the other 2 don't have any rust on like the downstairs one did.. Maybe theres something wrong with the ariel itself (head scratch lol). i'm going to check the LG at my mates house and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the reply, it's been a great help.

I would guess the RF input on your TV is now FUBAR. Years ago I was asked to look at a sky box with a rusty F-connector and after taking the lid off found an aquarium inside. The hollow sections in some coax cables means they basically act like a hose pipe.

I presume your aerial cable doesn't enter the room via a faceplate?

Have you tried a freeview set top box connected to your TV with a scart cable or another input? Obviously don't try it in the room with the rusty plug.

Sponsored Links
It's amazing the amount of water that gets down a coax isn't it? There was this big drive to change your aerial to 'digital', (a misnomer), when many houses would benefit replacement of the cable only.

IMO if you are getting any external aerial cable installed you should insist on coax with foam rather than the cheaper extruded plastic.

I also agree with the Water problem mentioned upper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back