Help with new Duo Immersion Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping you guys can help me here. I've just bought a Backer Anti-Corrosive Duo immersion Heater (627C - 16" & 27" Elements) for my 5' tank.

Few questions -
1. Should the immersion have come with a washer as there is a note on the fitting instructions that says " The heater is fitted to the tank using the washer supplied (or a "water council' approved non-asbestos washer of at least 1.5mm in thickness"....If not where should I get one from or will there already be one on the tank (there is no immersion fitted at present!)

2. I currently have 2.5mm cable run from the Consumer unit to the airing cupboard - as this is a dual element immersion heater (sink/bath) should I get a sink/bath, on/off switch or just 2 double pole isolating switches?

3. The instructions say for hard water set the thermostats to 60 degree C but I see no way of setting this accurately - there are only +/- and 3 dots in between?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
wrighty208 said:
1. Should the immersion have come with a washer
Yes, but you can buy them.

where should I get one from
Any plumbers' merchant.

or will there already be one on the tank (there is no immersion fitted at present!)
No.

as this is a dual element immersion heater (sink/bath) should I get a sink/bath, on/off switch or just 2 double pole isolating switches?
Your preference.

3. The instructions say for hard water set the thermostats to 60 degree C but I see no way of setting this accurately - there are only +/- and 3 dots in between?
Usually the 60ºC point is marked by a longer line than the other positions, otherwise it's trial and error - start low and work up.

wrighty208 said:
2. I currently have 2.5mm cable run from the Consumer unit to the airing cupboard - as this is a dual element immersion heater (sink/bath) should I get a sink/bath, on/off switch or just 2 double pole isolating switches?

Personally I think you would be better installing a proper selector switch. This will prevent you accidentally switching on both elements at the same time, which would overlaod the circuit and cause the OCPD to operate.

There is one here, and it will probably cost less than 2no. 20A DP switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back