Help with oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I'm way on with the extension but have a couple of questions regarding laying my oak flooring.

The extension is the entire length of the rear of the property and will provide a new kitchen and an extended dining room split by a stud wall.

I have to tie in the new floor with existing. The existing floor is a series of 3x2 joists with real wood flooring. However, on the extension, we've laid an RC slab with 75mm insulation and 65mm screed (40m2).

Now...I'm replacing the old flooring with new oak floors and am also laying the oak in the 2 rooms of the extension. So, on the existing build side I'm lifting up the old floor, laying a ply board, underlay, dpm and oak floor.....but on the 2 rooms in the extension..am I ok to lay the plywood directly on the screed then the underlay, dpm and oak floor?

One of the rooms is an extension of the existing room so I have to have it flow through seamlessley, so I'm a bit worried that putting plywood on top of screed followed by the oak floor may not work?? Is this done? How will that work/feel in comparison to what will be the other half of the room where I put ply and oak flooring onto an existing suspended timber flooring?

I'm just concerned I shouldnt be laying a ply board on to screed, and if not, I'll obviously have to raise my screed floor to achieve the same level as top of plywood on the old floor?

And if so, will an underlay & dpm suffice to separate the oak floor from the screed?

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back