Help with patio made from reclaimed bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I’m laying a patio in an old traditional walled garden and have a lot of very old reclaimed type bricks I would like to use for it.

I have levelled the area and have bulk bags of MOT sub base and sharp sand for the bed to lay the bricks onto much as you would for block paving. Membrane to go on first for weed prevention.

My challenge is that the bricks, being old, are of inconsistent size. I’ve ruled out herringbone as I think it would be a nightmare because of this, so just regular staggered bricks for the layout which I’m hoping will be easier.

What would you suggest for between the bricks given the variable gap size? Sand or mortar?

Any other tips?

Sponsored Links
I did a old brick patio before and used sika fastfix resin as the jointing compound, although its a tad expensive, that said you can get out of date pots from FBM cheap.

That said I would probably do the next in a dry mix of sand and cement brushed in, if the joints are large you could ram the mix in with a brick jointer to make it compact as you go along.

Recently set some brick edgings on a mix of 1:8 cement:sharp sand, no water in the mix (yes, did mean 8 sand) and was surprised how strong it was a few days later, you could use similar for the jointing and use jointer to compact.

I'm sure others will have other methods.

Good luck, post some pics when you can, will be good to see it

Thanks for the reply. I've found a blog elsewhere of someone who did very similar and the results with sand between the bricks as per block paving look excellent so I'm boing with that. I think it will drain off better that way too. Will try and add some photos here as I go.

So far I've put down the membrane and shovelled a couple of tons of MOT onto it ready for compacting before adding the sharp sand base. Will be putting a layer of bricks round the edge secured with mortar before putting the rest in the middle.

Would welcome any other tips and suggestions along the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back