Help with re-fitting kitchen cupboard after leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I had a burst pipe in the utility last year which resulted in me taking a kitchen cupboard off the wall to access the pipe. The wall was a wet and it left a big hole where the fixing was for the kitchen cupboard. There is now a big hole in the plasterboard which I now need to fill so I can re-drill into it to fit the cupboard back In place.
It’s an external wall which has been dot and dabbed and I can see the eternal wall though the hole. I will attach some pics.

How do I go about filling the old hole so I can reattach the cupboard in the same spot?

Attachments

• IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3155.jpeg
    IMG_3155.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
Cut out a 100mm strip of plasterboard at top and replace with ply or osb fixed to wall then brackets can be screwed directly to timber and repair will be hidden behind cupboard, but make good ceiling first .

Could I use a piece of 4x2 timber?

Yes I will fill and sand the ceiling first and then attempt to secure the unit back up

Would it also be possible to fill with resin filler to secure the fixings and then fill around it?

Sponsored Links
Your second picture shows electrical capping, covering wiring? becareful.

Andy
Yes the original fixing was in the hole above and that’s what I’m looking to fill and screw back into. I’m not sure how the other hole came about, maybe with the plaster being wet after the leak

easier with a strip of ply across the top than trying to use resin filler on a pair of holes, quite easy to smooth down with one of the powder fillers top and bottom of the strip, then the screws can be put where the cupboard needs them, not where the wall studs are.

easier with a strip of ply across the top than trying to use resin filler on a pair of holes, quite easy to smooth down with one of the powder fillers top and bottom of the strip, then the screws can be put where the cupboard needs them, not where the wall studs are.
Ok thanks. So I need to cut a strip out of the plaster board to fit the ply wood, fix the ply wood to the wall and then screw the cupboard to the ply wood?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back