help with reference methods for test certs 16th edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i asked this simple question on the IEE forum but as yet no definitive answers, but some umming and arghiing Basically i need to know the particular reference methods for the following wiring situations under the 16th edition /not 17th

1. single core AWA cables buried in a trench with many others the trench is approx 18inches deep and the cables in sand.

2. SWA cables run in buried ducting between draw pits feeding lamposts the cables are ducted for their entire length.

3, individual swa multicore cables buried in soil approx 18 inches deep .

If anyone could give me some assistance with this problem i would be most grateful as my regs book is on site, and our niceic QS is on holiday this week , typically .

Thanks in advance Nick

Sponsored Links
why is it not completed? well thats because its bloody massive so was designed to comply to the 16th edition and as it has taken the architects/designers 10 years to get to this stage it is no wonder
now back to the question please can anyone give me more information ?????

Nick

Sponsored Links
Apologies, sparkydude, my comment was ambiguous. It was a suggestion to answer BAS's question as to why you wanted to know. My extension is similarly being wired to the 16th as I started it last year, although I'm wondering whetehr to change my mind now to ease future changes.

As to an answer, although I've got the 16th book next to me, I've never been involved with reference methods in trenches, and looking at it quickly it seems confusing, so I wouldn't want to steer you wrong. Sorry!

As BAS is an expert in interpretting regs I am surprised that he didn't give you the answer. :)

With thanks to lectrician who had the decency to reply to my posting on another forum i now have the answers to the questions .

thanks for youyr help anyways bas.

they have made it a lot easier in the 17th with fewer categories 3036 so should not be so hard now

Nick

Sorry - I wasn't trying to be evasive or unhelpful - just curious as to why.

Don't know the answer anyway - it always struck me as odd that all the trench methods in the 16th assumed that they weren't backfilled. I think I'd use the methods in the 17th even if I was otherwise working to the 16th....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back