Help with tiling job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at tiling my kitchen floor with black quartz tiles (possibly 600 x 600). I have had an extension built to the kitchen and this has meant the old half of the kitchen has a concrete floor and the new extension has a chip board floor. The floor is level however there is the tiniest of movement on the chip board when walking on it.

My question is what is the best adhesive and grout to use? Is it best to use a BAL flexible adhesive with a colour matching grout? Is it best to prime the floor? If so what can you recommend?

Magnet have quoted me just under £600 for 6m2 for labour only, is this a bit excessive?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
...well that equates to around £35 per tile they lay. Seems excessive to me.

I would say use Bal Fast Flex with ...probably a Bal Superflex charcoal.
Prime APD

Or Weber Set plus with AD250...with a Weber Flex Charcoal grout.

Primer PR301

You'll need an s2 class adhesive...doesn't really matter if it is Bal, but I would stick with one of the Trade brands.

Tiles should cost you no more than £80 a m2 either if buying from a shop, less if online.

...i hasten to add, the floor needs to have virtually no movement.

choked on my dinner there!!!!....£600 for 6m2... :eek: ..think you have typed wrong m2 there mate... :LOL:

as for your floor subtrate chipboard..well i wouldnt advise this as a subfloor...anyway..

for addy and grout for this then..
adhesive...
bal single part fastflex.
grout...
bal superflex "wide"joint,you will need a "wide"joint as these are the one for walls and FLOORS the bal ones that arnt "wide" joints are only for walls.

Sponsored Links
primer as above...apd/primer/sbr

mapei will have similar products for addy/grout as well mate, also primer G.

I agree with tic,dont tile onto chipboard,I would overboard the lot with backers.

If you can perceive any movement, it’s too much & I agree with Tictic & Lance but I'd ditch the crap board completely & re-board with WBP ply; probably 25mm in a downstairs kitchen.

That price is a complete **** take! :eek:

Not to go against my fellow posters here but I would recommend staying away from any cement/water mix adhesives...more for the tiles than the substrate.

The quartz tiles, also known as conglomerate tiles, don't do too well with moisture...I would say either use a part or all latex/ cement mix to avoid warping.
If you wanna stay with bal, Fast Flex or PTB with AD1.

Weber Set Plus and AD250 still probably cheaper.

Again, this is for the tiles, not substrate, if you do decide to go straight over chipboard, it MUST be a s2 adhesive like in my original post, if you replace with a better substrate you still must you a low moisture adhesive.

So all latex, or Bal PTB (it needs less liquid to begin with) and then replace half the water with AD1

Thanks alot for the info guys. I think you have solved my problems! Cheers.

Again, this is for the tiles, not substrate, if you do decide to go straight over chipboard, it MUST be a s2 adhesive like in my original post, if you replace with a better substrate you still must you a low moisture adhesive.

So all latex, or Bal PTB (it needs less liquid to begin with) and then replace half the water with AD1

must say, when been fixing quartz compsite/resin tiles, have always used a rapidset flex,never had a failure to date,think the moisture rate for this tile is 0.003%...but again depends on were the tile is sourced from?as for bowing you can get this with any tile over a certain size..600x? ..?
but re: latex yes i can see the pros for this.

everyday is a school day. ;)

Is not a COMMON problem, but you'll find that Bal Tech will now advise against a pure water/powder mix on this paticular tile. They have had too many comebacks it would seem.
Just to be sure I have had a look at the M.I. on a few ranges..and the ones that i could find in english recommend a latex based adhesive.

:rolleyes: "...God?.., my brilliance is becoming a burden" :rolleyes: :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back