Help with wiring in a new electric oven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glass ceramic electric hob which sits in the worktop and a single built-in oven beneath it. Both are wired into a cooker outlet which is on the wall behind the oven. I'm wanting to replace the old dated oven with a nice new shinny one (like for like). The old oven and hob are wired up with 6mm heavy duty cabling. The new oven doesn't come with cabling but has the terminal box on the back to hook it up yourself. The manual that came with the oven suggests it should run off a standard 3pin 13a uk plug. Am I ok to wire the new oven directly into the cooker plate or do I really need to stick a plug on it and connect to a normal wall socket? I would be nice to have them both on the cooker outlet as I can then turn on the hob and oven using the 45amp cooker master switch on the wall in the kitchen.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The simple solution is to put a single 13a socket onto the 6mm cable that fed the original oven. Then you don't have to touch the cooker plate. The new oven must have the plug on to protect the wiring at 13a.

Regards,

DS

Hi,

The simple solution is to put a single 13a socket onto the 6mm cable that fed the original oven. Then you don't have to touch the cooker plate. The new oven must have the plug on to protect the wiring at 13a.

Regards,

DS

perfect, thank you. I guess i'll need some sort of heat resistant cable from the oven to the 3 pin plug? or should I just use 6mm cable on that?

Sponsored Links
perfect, thank you. I guess i'll need some sort of heat resistant cable from the oven to the 3 pin plug? or should I just use 6mm cable on that?
You would neverget 6mm² cable into a plug. Given that it's going to be protected by a 13A fuse in the plug, 2.5mm² flexible cable (which will just about go into a plug) would be more than big enough - theoretically, 1.5mm² would be adequate.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back