HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!! :D

Can someone please help me, I'm trying to switch over taps on the bath to a bath/shower mixer. I have some plumbing knowledge.

So far (as of now) I have isolated the incoming water under kitchen sink, as there is no in line isolator on cold bath tap, there is one for the hot water tap but doesn't fully stop the flow of water, :mad: I know I need to turn off one of the gate valves in the airing cupboard to stop the flow of hot water, but there are 3, one right at the back which comes from loft then down but can't see where it goes as the cylinder is in the way, (I think this is a 22mm pipe though not sure) another one also comes from the loft on the left hand side but this branches off to the pump & into (I think) 15mm pipes & the last valve is on the horizontal (I'm assuming that this isn't the one I need)

If someone out there can help it would be most appreciated! Thanks xx :D :D

Sponsored Links
I'd hazard a guess from your description it'll be valve on 22mm pipe, the pipe going to the pump will be cold feed to the central heating, and the other (horizontal valve) could well be a bypass on the heating. (Leave alone!)

Bear in mind it is rare for gate valves to fully shut off, especially if they havent been used in a while, thats if it doesnt shear completely when you move it. To err on the side of caution, check the water stops competely before undoing anything, if not, then you'll have to drain the cold storage cistern feeding the cylinder.

If you do drain cold cistern, then usually a good time to change the gate valve for a 'full bore isolation valve'. There if needed in future and somewhat more reliable to work over a gate valve!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back