HepvO valves or Air Admittance valves instead of open vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Having read lots of posts and gained plenty of information that's been of great use during my current bathroom refit - I now have a quick question!

Presently in our bathroom - our basin, bath and WC connect to a discharge stack that is boxed in and goes up through the ceiling and open vents through the roof. The 'boxing-in' is unsightly and I want to get rid of it.

Am I correct in thinking that this is possible by terminating the stack (above the height of the tallest overflow point - the basin?) either with an air admittance valve, or simply a bung in combination with HepvO valves on the basin and bath?

Does anyone have any preference between HepvO or air admittance? Are there any finer points that I am missing?

Many thanks for any help / information.

Sponsored Links
You need to find out if you drains are vented elsewhere on your property. What you propose to do will be ok ONLY if you have a vent pipe to allow gases to escape.

Consult your BCO for advice. :D

Okay. Thanks for the advice.

I have now spoken with my local Building Control department at the council. In order to receive advice from them, I must submit a Building Notice application (£117.50) and I will then be entitled to a site visit and advice on the correct way to proceed - I gather they'll also visit afterwards to tell me it's all done correctly and give me a piece of paper confirming this.

With regard to my drains venting elsewhere on my property - no they don't. But I am fairly sure that I share the drain / sewer (not sure of correct terminology) with my neighbours and they've all got open vents - I believe this will suffice, obviously this is hopefully what BCO visit will confirm.

Sponsored Links
They have shared vents on my estate with no problems.
If you are sure yours is the same ( have a look in your manhole) you may be able to go ahead. Maybe a plumber will have a look at it for you. :D

I`ll have a look for £100.00 No VAT :LOL: but I`ll give no bits of paper :cry:

Since initial post earlier today, I spoke with 'Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering', they have a public helpline which is nice of them.

The man on the phone said:

1) HepVo doesn't help at all with air admittance / ventilation they are basically just a waterless trap.

2) If I want to avoid an open vent I have to use an air admittance valve which must be 1 metre above the highest spill level, (ie. the basin).

So, point 1 contradicts what Hepworth told me and what their design guide suggests. And point 2 means that the stack will have to be so high that I might as well leave it through the ceiling.

Should I just give up on this idea - I thought it was going to be simple?!

Old thread I know ...but why does it have to be a metre above the huighest water level? Why not 3"?

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back