Hessian-backed carpet without underlay or grippers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to lay hessian-backed carpets without underlay or grippers (like you would lay felt-baked carpet), just on bare floorboards? Could the carpet still look professional or would it look awful? (I'm booking a professional fitter). The aim is to have a carpet that looks great and will not strike anyone as being weird in any way. Many thanks for any insights.

Sponsored Links
it's an interesting combination.

if i'm going to the expense of buying a hessian then i always fit the grippers and underlay. the appearance is without doubt the real thing.

i also fit felt-backed no underlay. i've also put felt-backed on grippers and underlay. the drawback of the felt is that it does not cut well along one edge.

the hessian does tend to cut well along both edges so i guess u could get a decent job laying straight on the floorboards.

the other thing to consider is that the underlay does extend the life of the carpet.

for me go for hessian, grippers and underlay unless u need to spend the money in other areas.

if you are booking a professional fitter they will not fit the carpet without gripper and underlay. The carpet needs to be strech fitted.

Sponsored Links
I'm already convinced and have bought the grippers / underlay.
Thanks very much for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back