Hey, remainers. What’s gone wrong here?

HMRC have extended their rules which they applied to non EU countries in 2019 to EU countries. HMRC have done this unilaterally, there was no compunction to do so.

They get to collect more VAT and there are no exemptions on charging and some goods have quantity limits as usual. What is unclear is say some one buys something in the EU will local VAT be deducted. On mail order that may be feasible. Buying loads of bottles of wine etc as happens in EU side ports ???????????????????

I haven't found anything that clears this area up. Also ebay and goods from say China that come in marked at a low value. Sub £15 doesn't matter now as that has gone. Ebay has their global shipping facility where tax is collected when people buy. They could apply it to all countries. Amazon has one too. I've used both.

Sponsored Links
They get to collect more VAT and there are no exemptions on charging and some goods have quantity limits as usual. What is unclear is say some one buys something in the EU will local VAT be deducted. On mail order that may be feasible. Buying loads of bottles of wine etc as happens in EU side ports ???????????????????
VAT can be refunded, but you have to claim it.
The limits on booze, etc have been re-imposed. otherwise you pay the additional duty, and possible a hefty customs duty.

I think it might hit cheap shops like Savers. There are similar general food retailers as well not as big as the well known supermarkets but see a lot of use when people shop in areas near them. We have a local one that was called Heron food until some one similar bought it out. They appear to work by buying from areas where stuff is cheaper and brands may be ones never heard of. Nothing wrong with it. ;) In fact it's sometime better than the usual or the same.

No where near as bad as you predicted in any dept.

Stick your clever cap on. You are now comparing the situation to a NO DEAL where we would be a third country for Goods and services. Brexxers shifting goal posts as usual.

The situation today is we have a thin trade deal on Goods- tariff and quota free but not regulatory or paperwork free.

The queues have not materialised at the ports because :

1) Hauliers are not accepting loads where even one part of the consignment does not have the correct paperwork as the whole consignment will be stopped. The delays are happening at warehouses.

2) Some companies to avoid any disruption are paying for EMPTY lorries to travel back to EU to collect the next shipment. Raising costs which consumers will inevitably play.

3) Truckers used the UK as a land bridge from Ireland. Now they are avoiding the UK by going from Ireland direct to France.

4) The Kent truck pass means that Hauliers have to get their consignments in order before they enter the county - this means they are waiting elsewhere whilst the documents are being prepared.

5) 4 Major logistics companies have suspended shipments as they cannot guarantee times or costs.

6) Some busineses especially direct to consumers have simply stopped trading across the EU or their business has dried up significantly.

Here is a nice example.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...er-says-business-left-with-250000-brexit-hole

Simon Spurrell said he has lost 20% of his sales overnight after discovering he needed to provide a £180 health certificate on retail orders to consumers in the EU, including those buying personal gift packs of his award-winning wax-wrapped cheese worth £25 or £30.

Brexit has pretty much destroyed the cross border trade for the SME who sold direct to consumers. Once customs, VAT and handling charges are added to items.

Sponsored Links
Instead of Poundland type shop I'm gonna open a brexiteer friendly shop and call it Tennerland. Shelves will be kept 3/4 empty and with large gaps between. No masks necessary to keep the right wingers happy. All British - no foreign muck like curry or chop suey.

The fallout of this will be less consumer choice and higher prices, as well as reducing competition.

Selling direct to EU customers and buying direct from EU companies became more expensive and problematic.

But that's what we wanted, and what we voted for.

Brexit had the only trade deal in history where the parties started with free trade, and negotiated to add tariffs and obstacles.

Going well,all 27 EU countries vaccinated nearly as much as us alone yesterday.
So on average, each EU country is less than 1/27th as effective as the UK with their vaccination programme. That’s not very efficient is it?

France are particularly bad. Shame I love the French & really hope they get better at it soon. Maybe we could lend them some of ours. I’m sure they would do the same for us......Not.

France are particularly bad. Shame I love the French & really hope they get better at it soon. Maybe we could lend them some of ours.
That's a disingenuous offer:
A second coronavirus vaccine manufacturer has warned of supply issues to the European Union, compounding frustration in the bloc.
AstraZeneca said a production problem meant the number of initial doses available would be lower than expected.
Officials have not confirmed publicly how big the shortfall will be, but an unnamed EU official told Reuters news agency that deliveries would be reduced to 31m - a cut of 60% - in the first quarter of this year.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55771223

Sponsored Links
Back