Hidden USB charger - looking for inspiration / ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made myself a very nice in wall iPad holder.

This is for the wall in the bedroom - the wall is plasterboard bonded to the breeze block so there is only a small (like 1cm) gap between the plasterboard and the breeze block.

I'd like to fit a USB socket into it somehow and feed the usb cable down the inside of the wall and attach to the back of a double wall socket. that way I have no cables sticking out into the room.

The question is - is there a way I can connect a female usb socket directly to the mains cables?

Sponsored Links
I imagine you'd be best off spurring from the socket and having a new socket behind the ipad. You can get sockets with integrated USB ports.

Is it easy to knock out a section of breeze block - I hadn't really thought of that. I was looking for some mega thin solution I could hide in the wall.

I could just knock out a hole in the breeze block though and stick a socket in.

Thanks!

A hammer and chisel will make short work of breezeblock! Just make sure the socket you're pulling from is directly below, and not off at 45 degrees :)

Sponsored Links
I have one of those double sockets with USB slots built in - but for this project I really wanted to hide all the cables behind the wall.

So why can't you do that if you fit one of those USB outlets behind the iPad?

So, provide a USB socket (see my link) next to you patented holder. Run 2.5mm² cables down behind your plasterboard to the existing socket and connect up as a spur, branch or as part of a ring final.

OR

Swop your existing socket for one with a USB port (or use a USB charger), get a USB extension cable, and run that behind your plasterboard.

I can - and that's the way I'll go I think.

I was just been lazy I guess and trying to find something that can fit in the wall without needing to cut any holes.

So far I've only had to cut a square in the plasterboard.

I'll get my chisel.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back