hide steel beam in knock through project

H

hPUWu574

Hi

I am knocking through a supporting wall between my living and dining room in my 1930's semi.

The wall only supports the wall above, it does not support the floor joists.

I don't want any visible nibs and I want the beam to sit between the ground and first floor.

My idea was to insert one end of the beam into the party wall but not sure how I can support the other end without having a nib.

How can I knock through and keep the walls seamless and hide the beam?

I called a structural engineer but he would only agree to plan for nibs and wasn't interested in getting involved otherwise. Should I take his word for it? I will spare no expense to have a seamless solution.

Sponsored Links
I was hoping another beam could be placed in the wall at the opposite end to the party wall and then have that beam support the beam which spans the room.

plans? drawings? anything worth a thousand words?

Sponsored Links
Rebuild that pier in more suitable bricks or replace it with a column, or span a single beam over both doorways. And I'm not an engineer, FFS.

1. You don't need a pier in the party wall - a simple padstone will do there;

2. As suggested above, a second steel beam (5x3?) across both openings will take some load off the brickwork between the doors, and re-distribute it to the brickwork either side of the doors. Simple, really; the SEs you've spoken to want to think firmly within the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back