High ambient temperature lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Been asked to find some flourescent link-lights (similar to those found under kitchen cabinets) fittings that will not be bothered by a higher than average ambient temperature, probably around 60oC (the robus ones I use are only rated up to 40oC) for use in a fireplace with a closed log burning stove installed.

Tried the usual catalogues scattered about the van and desk but to no avail, wholesalers only anted to sell me fire-rated downlighers (TRIED telling them its not quite the same thing!)

Any ideas? Don't fancy chancing it with standard fittings.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's going to cost a fortune but what about explosion proof fluorescent fittings?

You could maybe try surface mounted GU10 fittings.

They comprise of a lamp which is designed to be much hotter than 60 degrees, a metal fitting body which will be ok at 60 degrees, and they are wired with silicone wire, so that will be ok too.

You may want to replace the standard nylon connectors with ceramic ones.

Hmm, had a look in the catalogue and explosion proof metal halide looks cheaper than flourecent!

Thanks RF, sounds like a good plan, for the luminare at least. Could use halogen 'hot beam' lamps, or would a CLF be able to handle the heat?

I think you'd have to use halogen lamps. I've only used megaman GU10 CFLs, and these have a plastic body, so I think they may well be unsuitable. They may also be issues with the electronics at that temperature.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks very much RF.

Just dropped Megaman an email to see if they can supply me with the details.

Did you ever solve the problem?

I'm thinking of having something similar but don't know if it's a practical idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back