High water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Ive installed a new bathroom suite and the basin and shower and bath are all fine but when i flush the toilet there is a banging noise coming from the pipe when the valve turns off.

there are no unclipped pipes anywhere and ive tried turning the mains stop valve down and the iso valve to the wc which just makes the banging louder and of course the valves are screetching like mad.

Ive pressure tested the mains and there is over 4 bar pressure

is this banging due to high pressure and whats the best solution maybe turn the tap in the road a bit to reduce the pressure or fit a reducing valve if so are they any good and are they noisy ?

Sponsored Links
Partly closing the stopcock, service valves etc. doesn't reduce the static pressure, it just reduces the maximum flow rate and residual pressure at that flow. As soon as the float valve starts to close, the pressure goes back up to the same static pressure as before.

Taken to extremes, restricting the flow to an equilibrium float valve can stop it from closing at all.

Is the float valve in your WC cistern correctly set up for your water pressure? Most are supplied with alternate cones or internal restrictors for use with different water pressures.

Some bottom feed float valves would benefit from better support to the 'standpipe' inside the cistern. Some types had a plastic screw that braced the valve against the side of the cistern.

i havent checked the float valve for adjustments etc i will have a look at that what will i be looking for??

the instructions say that the valve can handle 1 bar to 12 bar pressure ive read that you can have the wrong nozzle on the equlibrium valves but there are no other nozzles with the valve or mention of it in the instructions what are these water hammer arrestors like would they help?
or would i need to change the wc valve for something more suitable bit lost with this one

Sponsored Links
What type of ball valve is it? Some need restrictors fitted to the inlet, (a small plastic spiral thing)

what are these water hammer arrestors like would they help

Forget about one of those. If necessary, better and cheaper just to fit one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58525...eck-Ecofil-Bottom-Entry-Cistern-Filling-Valve
or these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75136...s/Armitage-Shanks-8-5-Bottom-Inlet-Fill-Valve
or these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84007/Plumbing/Toilet-Fittings/Fluidmaster-Bottom-Entry-Fill-Valve-UK

Take your pick of whatever suits best

just an update its a cardina equilibrium float valve that came with the cardina suite theres no mention in the instructions at all about adjustment of it for pressure or adding any reducing valves etc it looks like it is a bottom entry valve as the outlet is submerged in the wc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back