Hip Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody please help. I make birdtables normally standard pitched roof. I am not a roofer, but I have been asked to make a 4 sided pitched roof birdtable. I can find no plans on the internet, can somebody please tell me how to make a hip joint, to make a 35 degree pitch.

Sponsored Links
You need a compound mitre cut at the top of each hip rafter.
Two 45° cuts across the narrow edge, meeting in the midlle and a 55° cut across the broad edge.
You'll have to support the meeting point while you fix them.

Normally, in full size, this is rarely found. You'd have a duo-pitched roof with a very short ridge and two hip ends.

If I find a diagram I'll post one, otherwise I'll try to draw one.

The bottom end of the hip rafter can be finished with a plumb cut or a level cut.
A level cut is probably easier 'cos a plumb cut would really require another compound mitre cut. Unless you have other jack rafters and intend fixing a facsia board. Then the bottom end cut be cut plumb and the facsia board hiding the bottom ends of the hip rafters.

There you go:
View media item 40517

Cheers mate, life is so much easier when you know what you are doing. Its hasn't been an easy project for me but you can still teach an old dog new tricks.

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could use simple mitre cuts, at 55° across the broad edge and fix the meeting point of the first two opposing hip rafters with a gusset plate (a piece of ply across the joint). then fix the other hip rafters to that gusset plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back