Hive install on Worcester 35CDi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Has anyone had the pleasure of installing Hive with the Worcester 35CDi Boiler? Have checked with the so helpful people at BG and am more confused than ever!!
The system does not have an existing thermostat and am planning to leave the Honeywell Timer in place ( just setting it to be permanently on?)

Haven't removed the fascia cover but am assuming I will find all the relevant connections highlighted in Fig 12

Any guidance much appreciate ?

Fodor

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/conversa...ester-35cdi-combi-boiler.33105/#ixzz4zHtXk5AH

Sponsored Links
Fortunately yours is one of the straight forward installations. Find boiler terminals Ls and Lr. There will be a wire link between them, remove the link and connect the Hive to it as per the drawing below. Then add a link wire between the Hive L and 1 terminals

Drawing1 Model (1).jpg

To do it properly, use 4 core heat resistant flex to make the connections, so that you don't have to use the green / yellow earth wire for the live connections to the Hive. Click here for an example.

Thanks Stem

Unfortunately as boiler is in a basement garage I now find I can't get a signal to/from the hub when I've tried it there.
My only other option now appears to be to locate it in the cupboard on the first floor where the existing Honeywell timer is. Preference would be to "replace" the timer with the hub if that makes sense.
Connections one the existing timer/controller seem close to those on hub ( allowing for additional feed that comes from a mains "isolation" switch located right next to timer ( which could be removed)
View media item 100678View media item 100679Don't really want to have to run a new connection form boiler as this would involve drilling through bison beams - not something I fancy!!
Any suggestions as to how connections with this configuration would work out greatly received
Fordor

The 'Hub' connects to your internet router and then communicates with the Hive Receiver and Hive Thermostat wirelessly.

The Hive 'receiver' is the part that the wires connect to. You can mount the receiver where the ST6100 is presently located. The wires below are for the single channel Hive receiver.

Capture.JPG

The wires presently in the ST6100 N go to the Hive N terminal
The wire presently in the ST6100 L goes to the Hive L terminal
The wire presently in the ST6100 1 goes to the Hive terminal 1 (Common)
The wire presently in the ST6100 4 goes to the Hive terminal 3 (Heating on)
Add a wire link between the Hive L & 1 (Common) terminals

Basically you are swapping like for like, with the exception of moving the heating on from terminal 4 at the ST6100 to terminal 3 at the Hive

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cheers Stem:)
You make it so clear and logical ! Not sure if you are involved in education but you should definitely be a teacher or lecturer!
Doing it your way will make for a much neater and easy solution !
Kind Regards
Fordor

Not sure if you are involved in education but you should definitely be a teacher or lecturer!

Thank you for your kind comments. I have led training courses in the past, and done a fair bit of public speaking. My main employ now is writing technical specifications / manuals for factory control systems, so I am glad you find my explanations clear.

Whilst the Hive replaces your existing ST6100 timer, the Hive also controls the room temperature. You haven't mentioned any existing room thermostat, if you don't have one, that's fine and nothing else needs to be done.

However, if you do have an existing room thermostat, it will need to be decommissioned to prevent it will overriding the Hive. It can't just be disconnected, otherwise the heating wiring will be 'open circuit' and not operate. As a temporary measure, setting the existing room thermostat to it's highest setting will allow the Hive to function.

If you do have an existing room thermostat post back details of it and the wires going to it and I will be able to advise more specifically.

Thanks again for all your advice

Thankfully we don't have a room stat which is part of the logic for going for the Hive

Ordered from Screwfix and will pick up tomorrow. They have a good deal on at the moment offering 2 Hive Active LEDs with every purchase which can`t be bad?

Once again much appreciate your helpful responses

Fordor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back