Hive install- what to do!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to the forum and was after a bit of advice. I currently have a BG UP2 programmer controlling a Bosch greenstar condenser boiler. The room stat is a poorly sited (opposite a radiator) honeywell DT90e, two wires with the neutral blanked and taped in the back of the pattress on the wall (plasterboard).

I understand that the receiver can be a direct replacement for the programmer, the controller can be sited as I see fit, either fixed to the wall or floating around the house on a stand and there is a bridge unit that is plugged into the router.

My query is about the removal of the roomstat. I am thinking of linking the the wires in the pattress and leaving them in situ. I will then blank off the pattress with an blanking plate so its available if we move and I can take the hive system out.

Is this the done thing? I cant find a wiring centre to disconnect the roomstat from so I am guessing they go back to the boiler or programmer and that is where my 'expertise' definitely comes to an end. The wiring at the back of the programmer is like a birds nest. If the consensus is that it should be disconnected at the boiler/ programmer then I'll get a trade in!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am thinking of linking the the wires in the pattress and leaving them in situ. I will then blank off the pattress with an blanking plate so its available if we move and I can take the hive system out.

That would be a good solution in your case. Link only the Live switching wires together. Depending on the existing installation, it is possible that there may also be a neutral wire present. If so that should just be insulated and tucked out of the way of the Lives.

Wherever you finally locate the Hive thermostat, at least one radiator in the room in which it is located should not have a TRV fitted to it, otherwse it could interfere with the operation of the Hive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back