hmm..broken or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just put a new radiator in the bathroom and bled the system of water to put it in.
Problem is that when i refilled and turned it on the pump was making a heck of a racket and only the downstairs radiators were hot. I bled the system of air via the radiators so radiators hav no air in them only cold water. Looked at the pump and it was red hot to touch (is this supposed to be like that) also it was noisey like a grinding noise. I deduced that may be some grit maybe got into it or something or it has gave up the ghost. any1 got any suggestions or should i just call the footpad with the mask ooohh sorry the central heating engineer lol

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you didn't manage to get all the air out of the system before you powered it up. As well as bleeding the air from the radiators, you must also bleed any high point air vents and the pump itself.

Water in the pump's casing cools the windings and lubricates the bearings. The bearings can burn out quite quickly if the air is not removed. Bleed the pump, with its power turned off, by unscrewing the large vent plug a few turns until water is passed that is free of air bubbles. Then replace the vent plug.

goldfig5.gif

ye think that might be the case cause i took the pump off and it is indeed broken the fan part has seperated from the pump. ordered a new 1 for 40 quid so not too bad. cheers for the help, keep up the good work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back