HMO Testing

M

Murrreid

Hi I have been asked to do a test for a HMO. I can do testing, and have test sheets to fill out. How do I go about doing an HMO test though, are there specific sheets need filling out etc ?

Also, how much do u charge ?

Sponsored Links
AFAIK there are no specific regs for a HMO.

I would just fill in a commercial PIR, as IMO, it is not a domestic property (in the true domestic sense)

I charge as much as I think I can get away with.

A test sheet do? I suspect that then goes to the council sparkie and he says if its ok or not ?

You've confused me now.

Who is the council sparky, and why would they be involved?

What is your role? Have you been working in the property, or are you there to carry out an inspection on behalf of the landlord?

What do you refer to as 'a test sheet'? There are lots of different test forms to choose from, depending on the particular characteristics of the contract and premisis.

Sponsored Links
Interesting subject this HMO stuff. Most councils would expect the property to have a current PIR and that all equipment supplied by landlord is PAT tested. I looked at a couple of council websites after Googling. They were Pompey and South Staffs. Pompey stated the inspection must be done by a Niceic/Eca registered contractor and S Staffs said it must be done Niceic only.

I have emailed both and I think anybody who has an axe to grind should read their LA website. I am not in a competence scheme as yet as I register my certs directly to the council but for members of schemes other than mentioned above it might be worth firing of a mail.

Anyway I kept it brief:

Subject: Homes of Multiple Occupancy

Its a wonder you haven't been sued for restraint of trade with respect to the guff about HMO. How are you able to state that the Electrical Contractors must be NICEIC registered. What about Napit, Elecsa, BSI, BRE (the other competence scheme providers) whose members are equally qualified as Niceic electricians, and are all equal in the eyes of the law. It stinks

Yours.............

ps I don't live in your borough but I hate monopolies
[/b]

A lot of LAs quote NICEIC or them and ECA but in reality accept all 5.
Their paperwork but not their procedures are out of date.
It might be better to ask Labc services to send a reminder to all LAs.

Update: Both South Staffs and Portsmouth have responded, unfortunately both have stated for addressee only so I can't copy and paste the replies. Basically both Councils are looking into the matter and will respond asap. I will let you know the outcome. Lets remember chaps they are public servants spending OUR money so they have a duty to answer. Will let you know the final outcome as soon as I get it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back