Hole for pipe through wall

Don't you think those who make the rules should offer a justification for them? If they can't be bothered to do that, why should we be bothered to abide by those rules?

Sponsored Links
I agree, there must be a reason cos the size of gap incresaes with pipesize. Might be a question for the IGE cos they are on the ball, unlike the kennel club(sorry corgi)

lcgs can you give a link to that reg as if the rule is 3mm how come plastic covered copper pipe is allowed as per corgi and it only has a gap no more than a millimetre. I am not on about standard coated pipe.
Have asked several corgi guys and they all just say it has to move in it.

I checked the later BS (2005) at the ACS centre.
No change. It still says room to move, and a gap capable of being sealed.
So I don't know where Viper got their idea from.
So I shall continue to use the next pipe up, or 32mm poly for 28mm!

Sponsored Links
let me get in the office an i'll dig out the reg,bs and IGE reference.

Cheers in advance for that lcgs.

Wording in Corgi book page 119 edition 4

The internal diameter of the sleeve should allow for an annular space around the pipe to ensure satisfactory insertion of the pipe and and allow adequate sealing material to be applied

bear in mind what corgi write isn't always the regs as per the BS. They write or certainly used to that the sleeve must be constructed of a material capable of conveying gas. The sleeve is actually to prevent stuctural movement causing damage which is why your allowed to sleeve in standard plastic.

Lee

That is where they are vague as well it says mdfe,pvc OR any other suitable plastic , one persons suitable is another persons no no .
With it saying able to convey gas that would rule out any plastic that would crack with structural movement.

Same as it used to say no joints at all in a sleeve now it just say compression and screwed doesn`t mention soldered

My personall thoughts are along the lines that there should be a minimum because if a buiding is going to move enough that it is going to damage a pipe going through a wall it is more than likely going to damage a tight sleeve as well.

WHile we're on about these sort of extra opinions to the Standards, there's an issue with cables too.
Cable to gas pipe, is minimum 25mm, 50mm preferred. Unless there's an "insulating panel", I think it says. OK, so what if the cable's in a bit of egatube. That insulates. What about a snap-lid plastic trunking?

The root of the problem with these various rules/standards that remain vague, inconsistent and poorly understood is the low calibre and/or disinterest of the people responsible for setting and reviewing the rules/standards.

One imagines a bunch of middle management types, few of whom have any recent practical experience of installation work, seconded to sit on committees mainly because they aren't doing anything particularly valuable for the organisations they work for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back