Holes in tiles for radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen I've got to lay floor tiles and a tile skirting where there's a radiator.

My question is... how can I cut a hole in a ceramic tile in order for the 15mm radiator send/recieve pipes to go through? With it being tile skirted and not traditional wood/mdf... it'll look bad if I channel out a hole notch wouldn't it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
richard - haven't seen the two hammers method since i was a 15 year old apprentice tiler (long time ago) and it always amazed me watching it.

OP -richards advice does assume you have a disconnected heating pipe or are prepared to drain the system. many people do cut a small channel the same width of the pipe

As always guys, thanks for your kind help.

Yes the hammer trick looks brilliant doesn't it!!!

I think I'll go for the diamond drill bit as I can't see the hole saw on toolstation or screwfix for a reasonable price. Can you see one on there?

Can I ask what size hole you'd aim for when doing a 15mm radiator pipe? What would you use to fill in the gaps? Would it be a pipe shroud or will grout be better?

Yes the radiator is empty so I you can assume that I can take off the TRV and olive etc in order to drop the time into position.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I think I'll go for the diamond drill bit as I can't see the hole saw on toolstation or screwfix for a reasonable price. Can you see one on there?
Why does it have to come from Toolstation or Screwfix? What about this one; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...ULE6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331915501&sr=8-3
May not be the best quality in the world but it should last long enough to drill a few holes in ceramic tiles.

Can I ask what size hole you'd aim for when doing a 15mm radiator pipe? What would you use to fill in the gaps? Would it be a pipe shroud or will grout be better?
If you use an 18mm, it will give you enough clearance of solder ring fittings & give space for sealing. You can use either a pipe collar or silicone around the hole, don’t use grout, it will crack.

richard - haven't seen the two hammers method since i was a 15 year old apprentice tiler (long time ago) and it always amazed me watching it.

OP -richards advice does assume you have a disconnected heating pipe or are prepared to drain the system. many people do cut a small channel the same width of the pipe

You must be older than me...tpt... :LOL:

Am still doing it to this day,and showing/passing it on to the young yins...

Hope my wee video put a smile on yer face... ;)

Some people just don't realise what ya can do with 2 basic tools,...for anyone out there it was a 4oz pin hammer.....enjoy.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back