Home owner-what will I be granted from grant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I`m a home owner in receipt of benefits as I look after my disabled son. I have recently applied to the Warm Front Scheme to be assessed.

My question is, what would be upgraded and would I be given a new back boiler? My current central heating system is in general working order. I have a 1990s Baxi Bermuda backboiler grade G efficient with an ugly outdated outset radiant fire. There are five radiators,all the radiators are outdated from the early 1980s,some with missing valves,2 leak if I turn them off & I have to blead them every few days with the build up of air. Also the controls are outdated from the 1980s and the boiler I have to swith off the central heating to heat the hot water,unlike modern combi boilers the do both functions at the same time. Also sometimes the heating does not come on as the pilot light doesnt start the system.

I would welcome any information/advice on what I would likely be given to from a Warm front grant.

Lee

Sponsored Links
Why not wait for the assessor to see you and he can tell you 1st hand.Each case would be different.

I'm a surveyor and can tell you it seems to differ from area to area.

You would if I were surveying get;

A new band A wall mounted boiler (the condensing BBU is available on the scheme but only in exceptional circumstances and you WILL go into excess with it).

If the cylinder shows signs of leakage or likelihood of leaking due to difficulty of working on it you'd get a new cylinder.

A new controls system (timer, room and cylinder stat).

A new pump (not always provided but I do as they're Alpha's which may be a blessing or a curse).

If the valves need re-packing we'd do that or replace whichever ones are needing work.

Powerflush.

Spirovent dirt separator.

If you have a one pipe system we would replace it with combi and the same number of rads you have at the moment.

Rarely do I replace a standard boiler system with a combi (as directed by WF) though some areas do it more frequently.

If the radiators aren't leaking they stay (they're inert objects, they might look outdated but all they have to do is get hot and not leak).

The radiators will be changed if not large enough only in the three essential rooms - main living room, applicants bedroom (your son's not yours) and the hall or dining room (wherever the roomstat is situated).

This is the way I survey but like I say, each area and surveyor differs though they shouldn't. The preferred boiler in the North is Worcester Bosch. You could request an Ideal and a Vaillant is available if you have a water softener.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back