Home rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an electrician working on my home rewire but he is unable to finish the work.

All wires, sockets, etc are installed but the cables to the meter still require connecting and a few minor things.

I need an electrician to connect the cables and test the new cabling work to certify the installation is safe.

I think I need the certification as I will be having a survey done in February and I will need to provide the certificate to the surveyor???

What is my best option to proceed here?

I have spoken to a few electricians and they have told me that they are unable to complete the work and certify as they didn't carry out the original work.

Surely there must be electricians out there that would complete this for me and check all the work that had been carried out otherwise I will have have to remove it all and start again!

ANY advise very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What area??

Depends on the standart of work as to weather another spark will sign his name to it.

Area is Northamptonshire...

I'm not an electrician, but I do know a little myself, and the work looks to be OK to me... but an electrician might disagree!

Thanks for the fast response!!!

Sponsored Links
He was in an accident (road not electrical) and cannot complete the work.

He was paid for all the work he done and I have the cash ready for another electrician to complete the work...

is the new cables visable so the new spark can see what hes certifying?

Yes, walls that have been channelled have not been filled in yet and floor boards can still be lifted.

The original EIC had three parts for signatures:-
1/ Design
2/ Installation
3/ Inspect & test

It was usual for all three to be signed by THE electrician but sometimes by different parties .

Could this not apply now with two signatories to install explaining clearly the relevant parts of install clearly defined. Or has part P beggered this up too I wonder

If I were you I would take photos of all stages of the job to show the install had been done according to regs. It will make it easier to get someone else in and to get certs.

Most Electricians seem to know others in their area, so could'nt you ask the injured one to suggest another he knows?, or, failing that, sign a letter to the effect that the first fix has been done to regs?

Even the Green NICEIC forms have a space for design, installation and test & inspection, so unless he is unable to write his signature it should be no problem for another spark to sign for only inspect and test.

Can't see any problem.
Sparky signs off any work he does and writes a report on the rest of the instal, or comes to an agreement with the client and rectifies anything none conforming.[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back