Honeywell thermostat keeps tripping my power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new Honeywell dt90e room thermostat because it looked like it would be compatible with the wiring I had for my old thermostat. I have a live, neutral and earth.
When I connect the thermostat everything is fine until it tries to start my heating and then the system trips out. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it.

Sponsored Links
What makes you think, you have live negative and earth, in a thermostatic switch.
I think its time to phone a friend, or someone who understands electrics.

Sorry but if you don't know what your doing you are putting yourself and others in danger.

I have a blue, brown and green/yellow set of wires. That's why I thought I had live, neutral and earth.

That might be the fact if it was a 3 pin plug, but its not!
And I rest my case, you do not understand electrics and should not be touching them.

Sponsored Links
That just means someone used 3-core mains flex to wire up the old one.

What type is the old thermostat and did you make a note of how it was connected ?

It was a really old honeywell one. I originally tried fitting a drayton rts8 combi stat but it didn't do anything so I thought it was my three position port unit. I replaced that but nothing changed. I've narrowed down my problems to the thermostat but now don't have the old one to put back on.

Don't ever assume anything...... Sooner or later you assume the wrong thing :) for example, old mechanical have a little resistor in that applies a little heat to the mechanism - this requires a neutral, live and the switched return. Maye someone used the earth core for one of these? what are they connected to at the other end. Do you have a record of it's connections? photo?

what was the old stat? why did you replace it ? a problem or just to update?

It does have the symptoms of a wiring fault (earth fault causing the RCD to trip is my first thought), but it may be a coincidental fault with something else, or a faulty new stat

When you say it trips out, what is tripping? MCB for the circuit, an RCD?

I would double check the wiring - at the stat and in the wiring centre, or where ever the stat cable terminates. What did you do with the earth cable at the stat?

If that all checks out I would start by removing the stat faceplate connect the live and neutral together with a jumper (turn off first of course) and see if the system works ok

I would agree with buck, you need help from a pro!

Galoka, He does not have a live & negative, he has a red and a blue and a green /yellow wire,and he does not know whats what he is just guessing.

A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING

Thanks guys, was afraid of that.

Appreciate the help, time and effort.

Galoka, He does not have a live & negative, he has a red and a blue and a green /yellow wire,and he does not know whats what he is just guessing.

Sorry, yes, slack writing on my part, I was really meaning the terminals on the stat backplate After he had identified what each of the wires is and and that they are connected correctly

Though I wouldn't necessarily agree that this isn't something that the OP can't sort out, if they take the time to understand the wiring that they have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back