Hook and Band hinges

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I bought some H&Bs for a wooden garden gate. I did not realise that cranked ones would set the inside face of the gate flush with the posts, I bought straight ones, and I see that the inner face of the gate will end up 12mm or so beyond the posts.

Is there a way to do it more tidily?

Can the pin plates be sat on the side of the post, with the gate in the middle of the posts? The gateposts are about 200mm wide and 35mm thick because they are fixed to a wall.

There is no stop yet, I will fix it once the gate is hung.

Sponsored Links
JohnD, good evening.

A couple of thoughts?

1/. Would it be possible to fix the hook on to 200.mm "face" of the post, but I think that this would result in the gate needing to be reduced in width?? so the clearance and swing of the gate is not impeded.

2/. A possible second alternate? how about you have a look at cutting a couple of notches in the post? into which the hooks could be fitted? that should then align the gate edge with the post. A coat of preservative on the cut surfaces will protect the timber post to some degree, the cuts on the post could be part by a saw, but most by a seriously sharp chisel?

Ken.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back