Hoover 1300 Special Edition (SE234) Washing Machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoover 1300 Special Edition (SE234)
My son has the above washing machine and told me it was 'smoking'. When I went to have a look he told be the smoke was inside the drum and came out when he opened the door. On checking his machine I can feel a 'tight spot' when I rotate the drum by hand. It will spin free and then hit this tight spot. There is a 'rubbing' noise when it hits this spot. It is not a grating noise that you would get with metal on metal contact. It seems as if the steel drum is catching on the plastic housing that it runs in. I can't feel any 'play' in the drum to suggest that a bearing has failed, but that may just be because the weight of the drum is preventing any excess movement.

He is a young disabled lad living on his own without much money so we're hoping it is a fixable problem at a reasonable cost. I am not able to do this type of repair myself so we will need 'professional' help, but would appreciate some suggestions as to what the problem is likely to be.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Sponsored Links
If the bearings are ok it could simply be a small article of clothing, sock etc jammed between the drum & tub. This can happen easily if you cram too much washing in there. The drum grabs a sock & whoops...it gets swallowed (ever wondered why we all end up with odd socks?) It can be a little tricky fishing it out & there are several ways to do it. Firstly get a stiff piece of wire, bandit strip, or similar & bend the end slightly. Then poke it between the drum & tub and work it around the circumference until you meet resistance. If you latch onto whatever is stuck work the drum either way while pulling on the wire. If you can't retrieve it that way then some dismantling may be required (either by taking off a paddle or by removing the heating element). Good luck :D

Thanks, that does make sense, it is quite possible he has 'overloaded' it and loosing a sock etc is possible. I'll try fishing around with a hook and see if I can find anything.

Will post back with the results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back