Hoover SE220 Washing Machine Wont Spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Our Hoover washing has recently decided not to spin, at all. It washes fine, goes through the rinse programmes ok, but when it reaches either spin programme, slow or fast, it spins a couple of times slowly (i assume to balance the load) and then stops.

The pump can be heard throughout the spin cycle and the water drains fine so it's not a blockage. The programme dial doesn't seem to turn either, it clicks from the start to end position of the cycle after what i assume is the amount of time the cycle would actually take. I have previously replaced the brushes on the motor about 12-18 months ago, so i guess it shouldn't be them. There was no blockage in the pipe for the pressure switch, though this doesn't rule out the switch itself.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what to try next, i'm hoping to locate the fault without ruling things out by replacing them.

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
I would check the brushes again

as well as wearing carbon dust can build up in the brush holders prevent the brushes from running freely therefore stopping them from touching the armature (giving similar fault symptoms to worn brushes)

Then again the brushes could still be worn especially if the armature was damaged previously (defective laminated brushes are also a possibility)

Thanks for the Reply, Leccy!

Is it common for worn brushes to just affect the spin cycle?

Would they not stop the drum turning altogether?

Thanks Again

when brushes wear they tend to fail on the heaviest current draws first

So

Heavy/fast spins, progressing onto heavy loadings until eventually it does not agitate/rotate at all

when it gets to the last stage though it can damage the armature and a new motor or armature (if you can get one) is a tad expensive

Sponsored Links
Leccy, Thanks for the responses, they're much appreciated!

The situation now is, i have taken off the motor and the brushes seem fine (they've got about an inch or so left, i'm assuming this is ok), so i am now stumped.

I've noticed that the suspension arms supporting the drum are starting to leak grease, but not excessively. The belt wasn't overly tight, i was expecting more of a fight to get it off, but i get the feeling that although these wont help the problem, they're not the root cause either.

Any ideas where i go from here?

Thanks Again

I would start to think that it is not sensing the correct speed and so is stopping.

At the end of the motor is a tacho which has two wires coming from it leading to the connector block (typically the thinest two) some times this comes loose and prevents the PCB being able to detect the spin speed so it stops after a couple of attempts.

Otherwise it could be the speed controller on the PCB or a separate PCB for speed control (I dont know your model of appliance)

Leccy, thanks for your help, it's been invaluable (i also noticed how many other replies you made on the forum in general, you provide a great service).

I will look into your suggestions tonight.

I have also seen suggestions on other threads regarding load balancing sensor / pressure valve issues being linked to not spinning, could this be the case? Is there a way these can be tested / ruled out?

Thanks Again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back