Horizontal cracks in mortar!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone tell how these cracks could be caused from?

Crack runs from top corner of window to window on middle floor.

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
@OP.
Posting pics showing just the close up of a crack is no use. In addition, you need to post pics taken from much further back showing the whole wall.
Only then will you get considered opinions.

Sponsored Links
I will take some more pictures and add them shortly, thanks for advise, I'm a complete novice at this!

I have also recently had cavity tray repaired lower down this wall, when this happened it was apparent that there were some very lose bricks along the cavity tray line which hadn't been put in correctly!

I have seen similar cracking where a mild steel flat bar has been inserted to support a flat soldier arch over a window opening.

The rusting of the bar at the bearings pushes up the brickwork causing a horizontal crack along the mortar joint. The rusted bar should be easy to spot though so maybe not the cause here.

The circular weep vent is a retro device that, presumably, was installed after any bricklaying was finished.

There doesn't appear to be a cavity tray above that "lintel"?

Cavity trays are installed below the mortar bed not above it.
Likewise, weep vents sit on the clean plastic of the cavity tray, not on any mortar bed in the tray.

The "lintel" below the weep vent doesn't seem to reach any bearing, stopping short at the reveal.

Have cavity ties been retro installed?
Do you have cavity insulation? Has cavity insulation been injected?

Is any cracking evident inside the house?

Perhaps, more info and pics of whats happened at the lower openings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back