Hot cylinder loss of hot water in all taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have a new hot water cylinder fitted by a builder, after works completed everything worked perfectly for three months, then I completely loss the hot water, nothing is coming out off the taps.The fuse and power are find, the water is heated normally but impossible to get any hot water from the taps,the hot water stays into the cylinder, it doesn't even go in the pipes.externally all the pipes seems good.

I would like to drain the cylinder in order to check the hot water pipe entry. The manufacturer's instructions book says to do so by closing the cold supply entry, open hot water tap, but I cannot do this because nothing is coming from the taps.I tried the safety assembly valve to empty the cylinder but it doesn't drip continuously, I don't think that I will manage to drain the thank by this way. The cylinder is : Chaffoteaux & Maury 1OO HORB 560 THER MO. 6bars 100Litres. with a pressure limitation device on the cold water inlet. 230V, 2000W.

I would appreciate if anybody could help on this matter.

Regards,

Mike67

Sponsored Links
from your description it sounds like you have an unvented cylinder.

i also think you are telling us it has been up & running for 3 months.

first shout is get your builder(?) back to rectify fault,it is under guarantee,
from the builder and also warranty from manufacturer.

second shout is that your builder(?) needs to be properly qualified to install unvented cylinders

third shout would be if nothing is coming out of cylinder check to make sure mains water is going in

Has the hot water flow gradually got worse over time, or did it just suddenly stop one day?

As GG says, it should have been installed by a competent person - did you see his Unvented registration card??

glasgow gas is right as they have to be installed commisioned with m i. also signed off with building control also for warranty.. does the cylinder have an internal 'bubble top' or external expansion vessel? also the filter on the inlet could be blocked and as glasgow gas said check u r getting water coming in.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

The builder is a registered main contractor, at the end of the site, he was so fed up having my sister on his back in order to finish the works that now he doesn't answer when she leaves a message for him, I think he will get in touch but just takes his time.

The hot water flow did gradually get worse over time.
I would like to think that the builder used a qualified plumber to install the unvented cylinder, I have no idea, the rest of the house is fine,all other levels are fine and running on a separate hot cylinder? as the cylinder in question is servicing only the attic conversion.

The cylinder is under guarantee, I think so, it was a brand new one.

The mains water is going in for sure so I presumed the inlet is not faulty, I checked it. the cylinder doesn't have an internal 'bubble top' but an external expansion vessel.

Thanks all for your comments,

mike67

How long have yoy been without hot water?

How long have you been trying to get the installer back?

I don't think you should be trying to make a repair - these cylinders can only be fitted/ maintained by qualified engineers for a reason.

Write to the builder (as well as phoning), do it every day. Give him five days then employ someone else and charge him, but warn him in writing thats what you are going to do. Keep copies of letters and diary of all phone calls.

Or.... chain yourself to the show house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back