Hot Pipes and T&E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More digging around under the floorboards and I've found the ring main cables close to the heating pipes.

I'm assuming that there's a "too close" distance that runs the risk of the heat from the pipes damaging the PVC over time. Is there a recommended minimum separation between copper plumbing and mains wiring?

Sponsored Links
Those pipes get really hot, so definitely worth insulating. Use insulation tape to join the lengths of insulation.

Regards

G

I spotted a similar post after I posted and worked out there wasn't a reg to follow. Thanks for confirming.

Ironically I was planning to buy some 15mm pipe insulation but not to insulate anything, I just find it fits the handle of my tool box nicely and makes it more comfortable to lift.

Also strange to see that none of the pipes under my floorboards are insulated though it does make the carpet nice and warm to walk on barefoot. :)

Sponsored Links
... Use insulation tape to join the lengths of insulation.

I find it's better with duct or gaffa tape.

Problem is when the 15mm pipe is in a shallow notch. Put the insulation on, then can't get the floorboard down :confused:

Answer then I find is to use a bread knife to slice a section off the insulation (heat not cable!) to leave space for the floorboard.

it does make the carpet nice and warm to walk on barefoot. :)
so it's wasting energy all the time the pipes are hot

I agree about climaflex if you have rom, otherwise I would sandwich them with that white non-itch loft insulation, it is light and will compress easily. It is not glass fibre and does not generate irritant dust.

I also use thin sheet insulation around the pipe where it goes through a notch or hole in a joist.

It's only about 2mm thick.

The one with the silver backing for behind radiators it great, as it is less likely to crack/rip and so easier to slide ove the pipe into a notch.

I find it reduces banging and pipe noise.

Depends on the size of the holes that were cut if you can use it though.

Regards

G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back