Hot water cylinder and pressure ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving a hot water cylinder at the moment the pressure on the hot taps is fine the tank is at floor level in the bathroom with the header tank in the loft directly above.
When re-plumbing I have the oppotunity to raise the level of the cylinder or even to move the whole lot into the loft above although if I do the latter it will mean that the header tank is only just above the cylinder what would be better to stay with a good hot water pressure ?
Is it worth raising the hot water cylinder ?
The only other thing that will chainge is that I intended to run the hot and cold pipe work feeding the bathroom up from the tank across the hall and back down behind the bathroom door.
Will this affect pressure or will I be better off chasing the concrete floor and running them that way as this is the current setup ?
Advice appreciated please.

Sponsored Links
The position and height of the hot cylinder makes no difference to the pressure at the taps. The static pressure is determined by the height of the cold storage cistern feeding the hot cylinder.

Locating the cylinder too close to the height of the cold storage can lead to problems with airlocks caused by air drawn down the hot cylinder open vent.

Adequate bore pipework is essential for a gravity system to deliver good flow rates with the limited pressure available. That usually means running 22mm from hot cylinder to bath filler

Oversized pipework, or longer than necessary pipe runs increase the amount of water you will run to waste before hot water arrives at the taps.

Thank you for your reply
Will The up and over pipe runs I mentioned cause me problems or is it better and wise to run to the bathroom under the concrete floor ?
The run will be about 3m.
Is it ok to run copper under a solid floor ??
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Three metres isn't exceptionally long, so that shouldn't be a problem, but 'up and over' runs may be prone to airlocks, unless arranged with a constant rise towards the cylinder vent or a seperate ABV

Copper pipe and concrete, or other cement products in intimate contact aren't a good combination - the cement corrodes, and soon pinholes the copper.

Copper pipes should be sleeved or run in a duct rather than laid directly in floor screed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back