Hot water cylinder too small?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem after on just fills a bath only 1/3 , in that there is then no hot water ! I have a typical CH system ie gravity fed ect , A potterton netaheat 10/16 boiler. The Cylinder size is approx 400mm wide by about 1 metre high. Is it the fact that the cylinder capacity is too samll for a 4 bed house ? Could i fit a larger cylinder bearing i n mind that 400 mm diamater is most that is feasable but could go higher in height . Also preasure for hot water is not good when having a shower esp two persons runnig it . The head of tank is only about 3feet above cylinder. what practical alternatives do I have please ?

Sponsored Links
the cylinder youve got is undersized for a bath, least to mention all other appliances, like you said a bigger cylinder will help.if i were you id get advice on the best route to go down for what usage the house hold uses then go from there otherwise a larger cylinder could not be the answer

The problem is NOT the cylinder size .
My cylinder is no bigger than this and a plumping hot bath is no problem at all and still some hot water left.

After someone runs a small bath , hardly any left for a decent shower . surely it must be size of cylinder ? also the water tank sits directly on joists in loft , is it possible to move it higher with suitably constructed frame , this would help in water preasure ie hot water preasur efor shower ? what is recommended size of a cylinder for a house occupying 4 adults ? Is the boiler I have has adequate output for a larger cylinder .
i'm also thinking perhaps a larger more efficient type might help , if so which type would anyone reccomend please thanks.

Sponsored Links
90% of cylinders i see are 450x900mm so its not the capacity.

if you fill a bath and it starts running cold then obviously the supply cant keep up with demand......possible due to your ageing system and configuration....poor head for a start.

get it looked at as it sounds like a poor system and may need upgrading in some (if not all) areas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back