Hot water cylinder Vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
A quick question I can't seem to get my head around.
I have a gravity feed water system.
I'm putting a whole house pump in.
I have to put a side entry on the hot water tank for hot feed which means I have disconnected the house hot water feed pipe from the vent pipe because I'm now taking my hot water feed from side of tank, I then connected pump hot water outlet back to hot house supply.
This leaves me with the vent pipe on the tank coming out of top of tank and going back to loft cold tank.
My silly question is what would stop the hot water tank filling up and continuing to flow up the vent pipe back to the loft?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is that the vent for the DHW (so coming off the top of the cylinder) or the primary vent for the boiler?

Either way, water finds its own level so the level in the vent pipe won't go higher than the level in the header tank (which is why you have to have the vent pipe outlet 500 above that level)

So all it is doing is controlling pressure variations (mainly due to temperature change) in your DHW. The new pump won't affect it in the slightest (not quite sure why you had to change anything tbh).

On the primary side, a badly designed system can end up pumping over into the header tank....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply.
The reason I decided to put a pump in was because although it worked the water flow was so low

Oh hang on. I read your post as converting primary feed from gravity to pumped. Whereas what you're doing is putting a booster pump on the DHW. Doh. The pump will be pumping out of the cylinder (from the side you say) so the vent pipe will behave exactly as it used to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back