Hot water feed for power shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy,

I have a query about the hot water feed for a power shower pump. Over the festive period the pump we currently have decided that it has had enough and leaked all over the airing cupboard floor, which was nice. The leak is terminal and so i have bought a replacement pump which i'm waiting to have delivered.

Currently the hot water feed for the pump is taken from the top of the hot water tank (pump sits next to hot water tank in airing cupboard). I'm not sure if an surrey/york flange is used or not but will try and take a closer look tonight.

In the fitting instructions for the pump and also having spoken to the tech support people at NewTeam they are telling me this is not the way to do it and i should disconnect and cap the current hot water feed from the top of the tank. A t connection should then be installed in the expansion pipe / hot tap feed about 6-12" below the top level of the hot water tank and feed the pump from here. This of course will add cost the installation if the current plumbing can not be used. Can anyone explain to me why it has to be done in the suggested manner rather than using the current feed from the top of the tank?

Thanks and regards,
Mark

Sponsored Links
different manufactors state different ways of doing this.
a surrey flange is perfectly ok to use.

Thanks for the swift response.

I guess the risk of not doing it per the installation manual is that it would invalidate any sort of warranty/gaurantee?

they can be funny like that.
i always use a surrey rather than come off the main hot water pipe.

Sponsored Links
I agree with seco. I would always advise a surrey or essex flange.

Any connection into the normal hot outlet would stand a good chance of sucking air down the open vent :confused: :eek:

I have never heard of a manufacturer advising this method before, but then in fairness I rarely fit shower pumps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back