Hot water = hot radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Have been scooting around the forum a while now and have usually come across the answer in a search but now I have a problem that, whilst I'm pretty sure on, would be grateful for some reassurance/assistance.

The system in question is a back boiler (Unsure of the make) located on ground floor, F&E tank in the loft and cylinder,pump and programmer on the first floor.

I drained the first floor and removed one radiator, capped off, refilled and bled the system. Switched the system back on and now when the programmer calls for hot water, one or two of the first floor radiators get hot.

I'm pretty sure it's a sticking three port valve as with the power off you can move the lever to B position and then to A. BUT, when the programmer asks the three port valve to call for water, the lever doesn't make it all the way across and rests somewhere around the "manual"setting.

Any help/reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dubnut

Sponsored Links
It does sound like the 3 port has either part siezed or has some debris on the valve seat causing your symptoms.Depending on brand you can remove the powerhead and check the shaft is free or you could drain and remove the whole valve and poss clean the body.If you can't remove the head,and on some you can't I would replace the whole 3 port.About £65 and easy to change.Just work safely and isolate correctly.

Thanks very much 45yearsagasman!

I'm looking at it shortly, so I may try to manually operate it a couple of times - y'know backwards and forwards with the lever. See if it will free anything up that way. Failing that, I'll pop the top off it and see wether or not it's a serviceable valve.

We shall see.. Don't really fancy the replacement of the valve :(

Regards,
Dubnut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back