Hot Water In Kitchen Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved in to a new house and had to replace the kitchen tap. The wife wanted a posh mixer / spray tap so that is what we got. I went to fit it then realised that the fitments were not the same (old tap was Male > Female, new was Female > Male) so got a plumber in. He fitted it, tested and it all worked.

He left and the hot water was intermittent at best. Spoke to the supplier who said it was the cartridge, so the plumber has been back again and fitted the replacement cartridge, still no hot water.

Just by chance before the bath was running and I tried the hot water and it worked, left a few minutes and it still worked. Left a few hours and checking the boiler as it has a temperature gauge on it, this was a luke warm (28 degrees) and no hot water again.

I suspected that it was the thermonstat in the tap before they sent a replacement cartridge, does that sound like the issue?

Sponsored Links
When you say "no hot water"

Do you mean

a) There is water from the hot side of the tap but it's not hot
b) There is no flow of water from the hot side of the tap

Sorry should of been more clear, yes there is water flow just it is not hot unless another hot water tap has been ran.

Yes it is a combi boiler, the kitchen tap is the nearest to the boiler.

Sponsored Links
When you turn on the kitchen hot tap, and the water is not hot, I presume the boiler is not firing.

Fill a bucket from that tap, time it, calculate how many litres per minute it is delivering.

If, when you run the bath tap, measure the flow there too. I expect it will be more.

What are the two figures, in lpm?

It might help to know the make and model of the boiler. When do you think it was last serviced?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back